Glebe Garden Gallery
The Glebe Garden Gallery is situated in the heart of Chelsea’s Cheyne Row area, a magnet for London’s artistic community for over a century.
Several groups of artists had set up residence in Glebe Place, starting with sculptor Conrad Dressler, who built the glazed sheds comprising the Cedar Studios in 1885–6. Nos 60–1, known as the ‘Glebe Studios’, attracted Walter Sickert and his fellow Fitzroy Group contemporary, William Rothenstein, amongst others.
The gallery premises had been an artist’s studio when it was bought in 2011. Although it could have retained this use, the new owner saw this renowned location as ‘one of the best places to have a gallery’, and began a year of renovation works to allow this dual purpose.
The gallery is a warm inviting space, layed out as a residential-styled series of rooms where artworks can be displayed and appreciated as if in an apartment or house. This setting, with ‘art all around’, also provides a framework for Ghizlan’s ambition of realising site-specific works attuned to their surroundings.
The space hosts regular exhibitions of her work and also that of other painters, sculptors and photographers.
Designer – Artist / Owner: Ghizlan El Glaoui